Apple Unveils iPad 2 – A Summary of the New Features
Steve Jobs and company unveiled the 2nd generation iPad at today’s event. There wasn’t any huge surprises, most of the updates were in line with expectations.
Here is a summary of the changes.
- Faster Processor -Switching from a 1GHz A4 processor to a 1GHz dual-core A5 processor.
- Thinner Design – 33% thinner, the iPad goes from 13.44mm to 8.8mm and is 15% lighter.
- Cameras – Front and rear cameras have been added.
- New Apps – FaceTime and Photo Booth will come with iPad 2. Also, iMove and Garageband have been designed for the iPad and will be available March 11th for $4.99 each.
- iOS 4.3 – Improved Safari performance, making improvements to AirPlay, and adding a preference for the iPad switch, etc. Available March 11th.
- Additional color – iPad 2 will be available in black and white.
The 2nd generation iPad will retain it’s 10 hour battery life and the pricing is the same as the previous models. First generation iPads are reduced by 100 dollars, refurbished first gen iPads start at $349.
Apple also introduced the smart cover for iPad 2. The Cover provides protection for the iPad screen using a self-aligning magnetic hinge. The new iPad 2 Smart Cover automatically wakes iPad 2 when it’s opened and puts it to sleep when it’s closed. It has a microfiber lining to help keep the screen clean and it also folds into a stand. They are available in 10 different colors, the polyurethane cost $39 or rich leather for $69.
The iPad 2 will be available on March 11 and it does not appear Apple will be taking pre-orders.
Originally posted 2011-03-03 05:52:59.