Logitech turns your iPad, iPhone into a remote for IR devices
Logitech introduces Harmony Link to enable one-touch control of your home entertainment system from your iPad and transforms your iPhone, iPod Touch and Android smartphones into a full-featured remote control.
The Harmony Link is a hockey puck sized device that joins your Wi-Fi network and translates your commands into IR (infrared) signals that get sent out to your TV and other components. The only cord required is a power cord.
Logitech will have free apps available for iOS and Android devices available when the new gadget ships in October. As with other Logitech remotes, the app will allow users to set up Activity Based-Controls. That means with one tap you can turn on multiple devices to do things like “Watch a Movie.”
Logitech supports over 5000 brands plus they add support for new devices as they come to market.
The Logitech Harmony Link is expected to be available in the U.S. in October for a suggested retail price of $99.99 and they are available for preorder now. We have ours preordered and will provide a review after it arrives.
Other Key Features
- Activity based interface (“Watch TV,” “Play Game,” “Watch DVD,” etc…)
- iPad users will be able to download a personalized channel guide.
- Controls up to eight components.
- Includes an accessory (IR mini-blaster) to control entertainment devices both inside and outside of a closed entertainment cabinet.
- Harmony Link can connect with more than one iPad at a time, letting multiple family members use their own iPad with their own set of favorite channels.
- Program information provided by Rovi.
- Harmony Link will support iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch running iOS 4.0 or later, and Android smartphones running Android OS 2.0 to 2.3.4.
Get the Logitech Harmony Link at Amazon.