How to Fix iPhone Touch ID Not Working on iOS 10
Touch ID is one of the excellent features of recent iOS devices in which users can unlock their devices, make purchases, sign into apps and use Apple Pay using fingerprint identity sensor. This feature is easier than typing your iPhone or iPad’s passcode as all you have to do is rest your finger on the Home button.
However, there are many users who reported that Touch ID fails to work. What’s even more frustrating is that it was hard to determine the reason why the feature does not work. What’s also annoying is that there is no way for users to see what was wrong with the identity sensor. If you are having the same problem, there is no need to worry anymore as we have got you covered. This guide will show you easy solutions on how to fix Touch ID not working after iOS 10 update.
What to do When Touch ID Fails?
Here are some tips that you can try when Touch ID seems to fail.
- Wipe Your Finger or Screen. Touch ID feature can fail to work when the finger, Home button or the screen is damped. Before using Touch ID, make sure that you also wipe your finger, the Home button as well as the screen so you can use it properly. Not only sweat or moisture can affect the function of Touch ID.
- Dirt can also prevent it from working so make sure that you clean your device especially the Home button by simply wiping the top to prevent dust from getting under it.
- Calibrate Fingerprint Properly. There are cases when iOS devices show a message that the finger has been successfully calibrated even if the calibration was not done properly. When calibrating your finger, it is best to hold your device the way you normally hold it.
- Do not grasp your iPhone or iPad perfectly if that is not the way you hold your iDevice when using it normally. Simply calibrate your finger the way you normally hold your iDevice.
- During calibration, make sure that you also register all possible positions of your finger. That includes the tips and edges. Your finger should also be touching the ring around the button for better calibration.
- Do not use Damaged Finger. If you have cuts, burn or wound on your finger, there is a higher chance that Touch ID would not be able to identify your finger.
- You can always register more than one finger so in cases of skin peeling, you can unlock your device using your other fingers.
- If you are using a screen protector, make sure that the Home button and the metal ring are not covered as that can cause the problem during identity authentication.
Solutions to Fix Touch ID Not Working after Updating to iOS 10
Knowing the tips on how to keep your Touch ID functioning properly, here is the solution on how to fix Touch ID not working problem on iOS 10.
1. Turn off and on iTunes & App Store.
Step 1: Go to Settings app and select Touch ID & Passcode.
Step 2: Enter your passcode to continue.
Step 3: Disable iPhone Unlock feature and iTunes & App Store.
Step 4: Go back to home screen and restart your iDevice by pressing both Home button and Sleep/Wake button.
Step 5: Once your device is on, go back to Settings app and select Touch ID & Passcode. Enter your passcode to continue.
Step 6: Turn on both iPhone Unlock and iTunes & App Store.
Step 7: Tap Add a Fingerprint so you can add your fingerprint identity again.
If this method is not helpful, try the next solution.
2. Turn on Rest Finger to Open Feature
Step 1: From home screen, open Settings app and select General.
Step 2: Select Accessibility and tap Home button.
Step 3: Enable Rest Finger to Open feature.
3. Delete and Re-Add Touch ID Fingerprints
If you are still having problems after performing the two solutions above, the next method that you can do is to delete and re-add your fingerprints.
Step 1: From home screen, open Settings app.
Step 2: Select Touch ID & Passcode.
Step 3: Enter your Passcode to continue.
Step 4: Tap your registered fingerprint and hit Delete Fingerprint.
Step 5: Once your fingerprints are deleted, you can now tap Add a Fingerprint.
Step 6: Simply follow the instructions on your screen.
That’s it! You just fixed the problem Touch ID not working and now you can properly use the feature for Apple Pay, making purchases or when simply unlocking your device. Do not forget to follow the given tips above for better Touch ID experience. If you still have problems with Touch ID, let us know in the comments below.