How to install untethered jailbreak on iPad 1 with iOS 5.0.1
This tutorial explains how to jailbreak an iPad 1 with iOS 5.0.1 using redsn0w. The jailbreak is untethered meaning once it’s installed you will be able to reboot it without the aid of a computer and a jailbreak tool.
If you already have iOS 5.0.1 installed on your iPad you can skip steps 1 – 4 and go straight to step 5.
- Download your iOS 5.0.1 firmware from here (make sure you download the correct firmware for your model.)
- After the download is complete, plug your iPad into your computer and launch iTunes.
- Select your iPad from the list on the left under Devices. Now hold down Option on your keyboard and click the Restore button (Windows users hold shift while clicking Restore.)
- Locate the 5.0.1 firmware you downloaded from step 1 and click Open. iTunes will update your iPad firmware.
- Download redsn0w 0.9.10b1 for Mac OS X here.Download redsn0w 0.9.10b1 for Windows here.
- Double click on the redsn0w folder you downloaded and double click on redsn0w to open it.
- Make sure your iPad is plugged into your computer and turned off (slide to power off).
- Click “Jailbreak” Jailbreak and install Cydia.
- Redsn0w will guide you through the steps to put your iPad in DFU mode.
- 1. Hold the power button for 3 seconds.2. Without releasing the Power button, also hold the Home button for 10 seconds.3. Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until redsn0w recognizes your iPad is in DFU mode (5-15 seconds).
- After your iPad is in DFU mode, you should see the screen below. Install Cydia should be selected by default, make sure it’s checked and click Next.
- Your iPad should start displaying some scrolling text while the jailbreak is being installed. Redsn0w will let you know that the rest of the process will take place on your device.
- Cydia should be installed on your iPad when the jailbreak process is complete.