Sync and import contacts on iPad
You can use iTunes to easily sync your contacts from your computer, Google or Yahoo.
- To get started, plug your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch into you computer and open iTunes.
- Select the device on the left under “Devices”.
- Click on the “Info” tab at the top.
- Check “Sync Contacts”.
- Select where you want sync your contacts from (Windows, Google or Yahoo).
- Now, you can choose to sync all contacts or selected groups. See how to create groups at the bottom of the page.
- Sync your device.
The steps are the same on a Mac or PC. As you can see from the Mac screenshot below, when you select Google or Yahoo you will be prompted for your account information.
Once iCloud is released with iOS 5 you will be able to sync your contacts, mail, calendars, reminders, bookmarks,notes and photos to iCloud then to all your iOS devices and to your Mac or PC.
iOS 5 is expected to be released this fall.
You can also create and edit contacts in the Contacts app on your iPad.
Here you can put a photo to a name so you can find someone fast.
Add an email address and send a message with a tap. Set a reminder that’s saved to your calendar or add notes, important dates, a Twitter username, birthday and much more.
The contact information you add or edit will be synced back to your computer the next time you sync with iTunes. This will keep your contact information consistent with all of your iOS devices and your computer.
Note: If you want to create contact groups (family, work, etc.) you will need to do so on your computer, then the groups can be synced to your iDevice.
How to create groups on Windows.
How to create groups on a Mac.
You can also create groups with Google or Yahoo if you are using one of them to import your contacts.