iPad iOS 5 PC free setup
One of the first things people will notice about iOS 5 is the PC free setup feature.
Once iOS 5 is released and a new iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch is purchased, users will no longer required to connect to iTunes to setup the device.
You can skip the on screen setup if you wish to plug the device into your computer and use iTunes to setup the device.
The PC free setup also runs on you iDevice if you choose to “Erase All Content and Settings” on the device.
The new PC free setup is quick and easy. Here is a tutorial showing the new setup on an iPad 2, the setup is basically the same for other iDevices.
- Here is the first screen you will see when setting up a new iPad.
- After you slide to set up, you get a welcome screen. Here you will need to select a language, then tap the arrow on top right hand side to take you to the next step.
- Now you can choose your Country or Region then tap next.
- Here you will be asked to connect to a Wi-Fi network. After you enter your password, tap “Join”.
- You will then be given three options to setup your device.
- Set Up as new iPad
- Restore from iCloud Backup
- Restore from iTunes
Choose the appropriate option and tap next.
If you choose to “Restore from iTunes”, you will be asked to plug the device into your computer.
If you have already created a back up from iCloud, you can choose “Restore from iCloud Backup”. You will be asked for your Apple ID and password. You can then select the backup file. Your settings and content will be restored wirelessly.
- You are then asked to enter your Apple ID upon choosing “Setup as a new device”. This will automatically setup App Store, iTunes Store, iCloud and more automatically on your iOS device.
- If you already have an Apple ID you can sign in or tap Create a Free Apple ID and setup a new one.
- You can turn iCloud on to store contacts, calendars, photos, music,books, apps and more and access them from all you iOS devices.
- You can also turn on Find My iPad. This free service can be useful when try to locate a lost or stolen iDevice.
- You can choose if you want to send Apple anonymous diagnostic and usage data.
- Congratulations, you can now start using your device.
Here are the apps that come preinstalled on the iPad 2 with iOS 5.