How to erase all iPad data and set it up as new
iPad Help, Tips & Tricks// March 22, 2011
Many people are selling and giving away (to family members) their first generation iPads after purchasing the iPad 2. In this case you may want to erase the all data on it and set it up as a new device.
There are two ways to erase all the data on your iPad.
Restore and set up as new in iTunes
- Launch iTunes and connect your iPad.
- Select the iPad on the left under “Devices”.
- In the Summary tab, click “Restore”.
- Wait until iTunes has completed the restore process, when iTunes provides the Set Up Your iPad screen, choose “Set Up As a New iPad” (setting up your iPad as new will overwrite the current backup).
- When the restore is complete disconnect the device.
- Turn on the iPad and verify it is back to factory condition (all your content and settings are gone).
Erase all content and settings from the iPad
If you don’t have access to iTunes, you can completely erase your all your data from the iPad.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Erase All Content and Settings.
- Turn on the iPad and verify all the content and settings were erased.
On most iPads, this process takes less than a minute but could take longer depending on the storage capacity of your device and the amount of content. Make sure you battery is not low or connect the power before you begin.
3 thoughts on “How to erase all iPad data and set it up as new”
Will erasing the content on an old iPad using the settings (not iTunes) affect the information on the new one, or an Apple watch?
How do I get into IPAD if I forgot the passcode
If I donot have the passcode to get into IPAD what do I do? I can not remember the passcode