How to Add New Multi-Touch Gestures to Any iPad
iPad users with iOS 4.3 installed can easily add four or five-finger multi-touch gestures to their iPad. The new multi-touch gestures are a big improvement to multitasking on the iPad.
The new gestures included are:
- Pinch to the Home Screen
- Swipe up to reveal multitasking bar
- Swipe left or right between apps
Adding these gestures does not require jailbreaking your iPad but it does require Xcode.
Xcode is software developers use to create apps for iOS devices. If you don’t already have Xcode it can be purchased at the Mac App Store for $4.99.
Once you have Xcode on your Mac it’s really simple to activate the new gestures on your iPad.
- Launch Xcode and connect your iPad.
- The iPad should appear in the Organizer window under Devices, select “Use for Development”.
- Login with your Apple Developer ID and password.
- Xcode will activate developer features on your iPad.
- Tap Settings on your iPad, then General and turn Multitasking Gestures On.
This will work with the original iPad and iPad 2 but you will need to have iOS 4.3 on the device. This does require a Mac, Windows users are out of luck for right now.
Here is a quick video demonstrating the gestures.