How to downgrade from iOS 10 to iOS 9 on your iPhone or iPad – how to reinstall iOS 9
iOS 10 is packed with new cool features that all iPhone and iPad users enjoy. It makes all tasks easier to do plus more entertaining stuffs are added such as smarter Siri and new Home app feature. However, if the latest version somehow made your iPhone 6 slower, Wi-Fi problems or you just do not like it at all and you want to get the previous iOS 9, it is alright. Some users also had to deal with the problem of downgrading their devices for some reasons. The good news is that it is very easy to downgrade from iOS 10 to iOS 9 so you do not have to worry any longer.
This article will show you easy and different ways on how to downgrade from a certain version to its predecessor or mainly downgrade from iOS 10 to iOS 9. For users who are still running iOS 10 beta, we can also show you how to remove it from your device and reinstall iOS 9 again. It is very easy and all you have to do is to follow the steps provided below.
Backup All Data
First of all before you downgrade from iOS 10 to iOS 9, or whichever operating system you want to downgrade, it is very important to make sure that you backup your files and other data. Do not forget to save all settings before you switch back to the previous iOS.
Apple recommends the use of iTunes for backing up your files and other data rather than iCloud. This is for those users who installed the beta but for those who already installed the full version, iTunes is always the best way for backing up.
According to Apple, “If you back up to iCloud or if you don’t archive your backup, you won’t be able to restore from it if you go back to current version of iOS”. So if you have decided to use iTunes, make sure that you also get the latest version.
To archive an iTunes backup, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
- Click Summary button and click Back Up Now.
- The backup will start right away and wait for it to finish.
- Click iTunes, then Preferences and click Devices to check the backup of your device.
- Hold down Ctrl key and click the backup.
- Click the Archive option.
This is the safest way to back up your files with 100% assurance to restore your data. After backing up, your device is ready to downgrade.
Downgrade from iOS 10 to iOS 9
- Once you already have the latest version of iTunes, you can proceed to downloading iOS 9.3.2 IPSW file on your iOS device. You can check if it is in your hard drive by following the path youruserfolder/Library/iTunes then inside the iPad Software Updates or iPhone Software Updates.
If you cannot find it on your Mac, there is nothing to fret since Mac always deletes those regularly. Just search for download ipsw and download the file for your device. There are many websites that you can choose from.
3. Connect your iPad or iPhone to your computer and open iTunes from your Mac or PC.4. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds. Then release Sleep/Wake button while still holding on the Home button. This will keep your device on DFU mode. iTunes will then show an alert saying that your device is in recovery mode.
5. Hold down Option + Command key on Mac (Shift key on Windows) and click Restore iPhone.
6. Search and select the IPSW file you downloaded before and let iTunes install iOS 9.3.2 on your iPad or iPhone.
How to Remove iOS 10 Beta and Downgrade to iOS 9
Now for those who installed iOS 10 public beta and want to downgrade their iPhone 6 to iOS 10, it is also easy to perform that. You can consider yourself lucky since iOS 9.3.2 is the officially supported operating system currently. This means that if you click the option Restore and Update from iTunes, your iPhone or iPad will automatically have iOS 9.3.2 software.We will show you how later.
The only problem is that some data or settings that you have saved since iOS 10 beta will be gone. If you also did not archived backup before getting iOS beta which was suggested by Apple before you upgrade your device, you cannot restore your data. You can only choose either restoring your old backup (before iOS 10 beta) or set your device as brand new iPhone or iPad.
It is easy to remove iOS 10 beta. Simply follow these steps to return your device to the previous operating system:
- Enter Recovery Mode. To do this, turn your iPad or iPhone off and keep holding down the Home button. This may take some time so do not let go until Connect to iTunes appear.
- Once you see Connect to iTunes, connect your iPad or iPhone to your Mac or PC via USB cable and launch iTunes.
- iTunes will then show an alert that the device is in Recovery Mode and needs to be restored. Simply click OK to confirm and Restore iPhone or iPad.
- Choose Restore and Update iTunes will then download and install the latest version of iOS 9 and will automatically install it on your device.
After iTunes finished installing the new iOS 9 version, you can choose either setting your device as a brand new device or restoring an old backup. (Keep in mind that iOS 10 backup is impossible to restore!). Simply choose your preferred setting and follow the steps on your screen.
That’s it! Your device is already back to iOS 9! Even though iOS 9 does not contain the awesome features added in iOS 10, it is still great for some devices. Many users prefer it more especially if you do not really need those new features. After all, it is very easy to downgrade from iOS 10.
If you experience any problems throughout the steps do not hesitate to leave your questions in the comments section below! Good luck.