Google releases Gmail app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
Google has now officially released a universal Gmail app for iOS. The native Gmail app adds several features not included with the Gmail web app.
- Users can be alerted for new messages with push notifications and sounds
- Autocomplete email addresses from your Gmail contacts or select from your device’s address book
- Read email via threaded conversations
- Send and receive attachments
- iPad users can navigate your inbox and read your mail simultaneously with split view
There are also a few touch gestures added with the Gmail app.
- Pull down your inbox to rapidly refresh if you’re eager for new mail
- Swipe right to view your labels without ever leaving your inbox
- Swiftly scroll through dozens of emails just by sliding your finger
The Gmail app has a nice interface and will be a welcomed addition for Gmail users with iOS devices.
Update: Google quickly pulled the app due to some bugs related to notifications. They posted this message via Twitter “The iOS app we launched today contained a bug with notifications. We have pulled the app to fix the problem. Sorry we messed up.”
Originally posted 2011-11-02 17:30:45.