Apple didn’t initially advertise multitasking gesture as being an iPad 2 exclusive feature but they have updated the pages that describe multitasking gestures and it doesn’t appear they will add the gestures to the first generation iPad.
The gestures can be enabled using a tethered jailbreak but there are many people that do not want to install a jailbreak on their iPad, much less a tethered jailbreak.
Fortunately, a modmyi forum member modified the code of redsn0w 0.9.9b5 to enable the multitasking gestures without installing the jailbreak. The modified versions of redsn0w also turns on AirPlay Mirroring on the 1st generation iPad (with the use of an AV cable.)
This method will work both Mac and Windows users, just download the appropriate file for your operating system.
Here is how to active multitasking gestures without jailbreaking your iPad.
- You probably have already upgraded to iOS 5 in iTunes but if you haven’t done so, go ahead and update your iPad’s software to iOS 5.
- Download the modified redsn0w file for Mac
Download the modified redsn0w file for Windows
- Plug your iPad into your computer and turn off your iPad (slide to power off).
- Double click on the redsn0w folder you downloaded and double click on redsn0w to open it.
- Click “Jailbreak” Jailbreak and install Cydia (don’t worry you are not jailbreaking.)
- Your iPad should be plugged in and off, if it is click next to proceed.
- Redsn0w will guide you through the steps to put your iPad in DFU mode. This version of redsn0w was a little slow with the timing. If you have trouble entering DFU mode, follow these steps by using your own timing and not the on screen directions.
- After your iPad is in DFU mode, you should see the screen below. Cydia is selected by default you will need to uncheck Cydia and check Enable multitask gestures.
- Your iPad should start displaying some scrolling text while the gestures are being turned on. Redsn0w will let you know that the rest of the process will take place on your device.
- When the process is complete, the gestures should be turned on. If you go to Settings on your iPad you should see a toggle switch for Multitasking Gestures.
1. Hold the power button for 3 seconds.
2. Without releasing the Power button, also hold the Home button for 10 seconds.
3. Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until redsn0w recognizes your iPad is in DFU mode (5-15 seconds).
Now you get to take advantage of a great feature Apple left out without having to install a jailbreak.